Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas’ Multicultural Wedding
It has been more than two years since Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas’ multicultural wedding was celebrated in India. This wedding will always be a reference for multicultural couples and this is why we decided to tell you more about the choices that this couple made so that their wedding could be the perfect fusion of both cultures and a representation of both personalities.
Nick Jonas, American and Catholic, found his love without borders in 2017: Priyanka Chopra, Hindu living in the US. They only needed two months to know that their love was unconditional, and overcame any cultural barrier. And so it was, as the singer asked her love for her hand, on December 1, 2018, they said ‘Yes, I do’ at a wedding that lasted 4 whole days, in India, the actress’ country of birth.
But why is this wedding so important on a cultural level? Because the couple took it upon themselves to represent them both, their personalities, lifestyles, cultures, and religions.
Let’s see in detail how they achieved this fusion:
- Wedding site. It took place in India, Priyanka’s country of birth, and where they could reflect their traditions. Since Hindu weddings are very special, they last several days, and have very peculiar and significant rituals.
- Western Wedding. On one of the 4 days of wedding, the Catholic ceremony was performed, since it is the singer’s religion. This ceremony was officiated by Nick’s father, Paul Kevin Jonas. As a result, the ceremony was totally personalized, and much more exciting and emotional for the couple.
- Western Attire. Nick Jonas opted for an elegant dark tuxedo, and Priyanka Chopra dazzled with a white dress and a 22-meter veil, made by Ralph Lauren; who, although he has made very few wedding dresses, took the job since the couple has lived many special moments where the actress wore beautiful designer suits. And it was not only the designer’s choice that represented them as a couple that day, but Priyanka Chopra also had a dedication to her future husband sewn on her dress: “Nicholas Jerry Jonas, December 1, 2018, Madhu and Ashok, Om Namah Shivay (Hindu mantra that invokes God Shiva), family, hope, compassion and love ”. For his part, the singer also performed his romantic act: carrying a piece of cloth from Priyanka’s dress inside the lapel of his tuxedo, which read “My life.”
- Mehendi. In this paragraph we talk about probably the most famous Hindu ritual. In fact, this ritual performed between the bride and her friends, where henna tattoos are applied to the bride. It is said that the darker her tattoos are, the stronger the love will be between her and her future husband. The couple has chosen to perform this ritual together, so the singer had the opportunity to get henna tattoos on his hands, and thus become part of the traditions of his love.
- Phera: Hindu ritual in which the couple goes around a campfire 7 times, which symbolize 7 lives: being faithful, and being next to each other no matter what may happen during the next 7 births. This was Nick Jonas’ preferred ritual, as meaning is so precious to him and Priyanka Chopra.
- Sangeet: a typical tradition in India, which is not usually missing in any wedding, is Sangeet, which means “singing together”. During this event, the bride’s family prepares different dances with very happy Hindu music. And since we are talking about two celebrities, what better than a performance by Nick Jonas and his brothers? And that’s how the actress performed a dance with her mother, and the rest of her family; while the singer did his thing: he sang with his family. All performances showed the couple’s love story through dance and music.
- Hindu Attire: both Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas have worn spectacular custom-made outfits. Priyanka Chopra has always wanted to get married in the typical red Hindu dress, which means love and celebration, and she has done so. But also, she feels identified with Western culture, and that is why her dress has been a great mix made by Sabyasachi: a spectacular red dress that included French embroidery, jewelry, and a Western-style veil. The singer and his family have also worn their Hindu outfits, always respecting the traditions of the country and of his new family.
- Decoration. All decoration has a great job behind, and especially in weddings of 3 or 4 days like this one. The decorations were thought to represent Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas’ love story: different nationalities but creating a new world, their world. Traditions were merged and included modernity, to generate something unique and special.
This is how the couple decided to represent both cultures in their wedding, and surely there were more details of which we are not aware since it has been a very private wedding. What did you think of this mix of cultures? Can you now imagine your own wedding and how to generate that very important and special fusion?
We are here to help you, advise you, and accompany you in every step of this process, do not hesitate to contact us if there is something in which I can give you support. And if you liked this post, or want to comment on something, you can do so below.
Thanks for reading!