Have you ever heard of weekend weddings?
A weekend wedding usually lasts 3 days, from Friday to Sunday. The first day is the welcoming, the second day is the wedding celebration, and the third is the farewell. It is an ideal option if your guests don’t live in the same place where the wedding will take place, and you can also include cultural moments or typical traditions of your culture or your lover.
Here you can find the most important steps to follow if you’d like to start shaping your multicultural weekend wedding in Barcelona.
ONE. The beginning: weekend weddings take more time and dedication to organize than a one-day wedding. That is why I recommend you to start at least one year in advance, and that you invite your guests at least six months in advance since they will have to book the entire weekend, and possibly have to buy plane or train tickets. Also, you have to take into account if your guests will need a visa to enter Spain since they usually take several months.
For the weekend to be a total success, you will need to take into consideration many factors.
- The number of guests: it is not the same to plan a weekend wedding for 40 guests, than for 200.
TIP: you can choose to have more guests on the wedding day, and a smaller number of guests for the rest of the weekend. Otherwise, you can include some guests only in certain activities.
- The budget: will you and your love take care of all the expenses or will the guests pay something? It is essential that every guest is aware of what they will have to pay and what is included.
- Guest accommodation: wheather is a hotel, a farmhouse or the place you consider best for your guests. If you are not sure what would be the right option, you can check out our post about guest accommodation.
TIP: you can pick a wedding venue that includes accommodation, or choose a venue without accommodation and look for a hotel/house nearby. Try not to be that far from the venue: maximum 15 minutes drive.
- Guest transfer: will your guests land at the airport or maybe arrive at the train station? Will they need a transfer from there to the accommodation?
- The weekend itinerary: will there be activities or tours? What will they eat? It is very important that guests feel comfortable at all times, that they can choose to enjoy a group activity organized by you, or relax in their room or swimming pool if there is one.
- Food for the whole weekend: does the accommodation provide food? Or is it necessary to hire a catering service for the entire weekend? You will also have to take into consideration food allergies, since it will not only be on the wedding day, but the entire weekend.
- Guests may need to do their hair, makeup, etc, especially ladies. Will the person who takes care of the bride’ makeup and hairstyle of the be the same who takes care of the guests? Or is it better to hire more than one person for the job.
TWO: Day 1 of the weekend (usually Friday): The guests begin to arrive at the accommodation. You and your lover can welcome them personally, or leave a personalized welcome kit in each room. On the first day, it is essential to take into consideration that guests will probably be tired from the trip and excited about your wedding and their little ‘holidays’. I recommend that you organize a welcome cocktail, where you can break the ice between all guests, who may not know each other and want to do it. It is a perfect time to introduce the culture of your wedding location, if you are in Catalonia, you can put ham stations, some paellas, and beers. Keep in mind that it should be something relaxed, to gather energy for the next day.
THREE: Day 2 of the weekend (possibly Saturday): Your wedding day has arrived! Today is the big celebration, so I recommend that you start your day relaxed, you can choose to be with your guests, or to spend it with your lover, or with your parents or closest friends. If you decide to have the wedding during the day, you will have the morning to get ready: makeup, hairstyle, dress, and everything that is needed to make you look great. On the other hand, if you decide to have the wedding in the afternoon / evening, you will have the morning to rest a little more, have breakfast and even participate in some group activity with your guests.
FOUR: Day 3 of the weekend (usually Sunday): It is time to end your celebration. A brunch is a fantastic option for you to enjoy with your guests. Try to do it moderately late since surely everyone will want to sleep a little more, to cure the hangover. It will be a great time to thank all your guests for being part of your wedding, and say goodbye as they deserve. Don’t forget to schedule the transfer of your guests, if they need it.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
- Prepare a wedding website so that both you and your guests are informed about everything that will happen during these days. You can include the itinerary, the transfers, the points of interest of your wedding site, possible activities that they can do alone or in a group, and any detail that you consider appropriate.
- Make sure that the activities that you propose to your guests are according to them, if you have many children, take them into account when planning activities. I do not recommend to add any high risk activities, it is not the plan to end up in the hospital!
- Tú y tu amor no tienen que ser partícipes de todo el itinerario, pueden optar por participar en ciertos momentos, y en otros no. Lo importante es que tus invitados estén a gusto, y que ustedes puedan disfrutar de su unión como se lo merecen. No te sientas culpable por perderte de algún momento en grupo, los momentos en pareja son súper importantes también.
You and your lover don’t have to participate in the entire itinerary, you can choose to participate in certain moments, and not in others. The important thing is that your guests are comfortable, and that you can enjoy your union as you deserve it. Don’t feel guilty for missing a group moment, you also need to spend time as a couple.
- Plan B: make sure you have a plan B in case of rain, not only for your wedding day (if you decide to do it outdoors), but also for the entire itinerary you have planned. That it rains does not mean that your wedding weekend has been ruined, there are always alternatives to continue enjoying!
- Finally, I recommend that you hire a Wedding Planner for the entire organization, since I’m sure that you will want to enjoy these days surrounded by friends and family, and you do not want to be stressed by the unforeseen events that may arise. It is also not a job for your parents or close friends, they also deserve to celebrate with you.
I hope this article has been very helpful to you and that if you finally decide to have your weekend wedding, it will be a total success!
If you need help of any kind, don’t hesitate to contact me. As you can see on my website, I offer the complete Weekend Wedding service and it will be a real pleasure to accompany you on this path.
Thanks for reading and if you want to leave a comment, you can do so below.